CIAM (Centro Internacional Antonio Machado) is an academic and cultural institution which aims at promoting the teaching of the Spanish language and culture from a humanistic perspective, taking into account social and affective factors.
- To carry out cultural and educational activities that contribute to the diffusion of humanism, Hispanism and thinking in Spanish.
- To organize cultural and educational activities that promote our historical, artistic and natural heritage.
- To offer teaching and learning services of Spanish as a foreign language that promote the development of students’ language skills and intercultural competence.
- To offer official Spanish language proficiency certification services and other official Spanish tests.
- To offer training and workshops to Spanish professionals, both teachers and translators, especially concerning literary translation.
- To offer services that improve the students’ integration and participation in the community and the environment.
- To help students develop a clear and critical view of reality and culture in Spanish.
We believe in an educational project of international scope focused on the teaching of Spanish and Hispanic cultures. It is based on humanism and critical thinking, and aims at helping students grow academically and personally.
In its foundation, CIAM is indebted to the Institución Libre de Enseñanza, an educational project of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which managed to be one of the most important agencies of cultural and pedagogical modernization in Spain. We believe in:
- Humanistic pedagogy, which aims at the integral education of students.
- Education focused on intellectual development, aesthetic and emotional sensitivity, coherence and integration of values.
- The promotion of lifelong learning.
- Experience-based learning and reflection on experience.
- Learning in nature and from nature.
- Recognition of the value of work, both technical and intellectual.
- Building relationships based on egalitarian dialogue.
- Leadership promoting the community and social development.
In short, knowledge, honesty, authenticity, integrity, and humility are our hallmarks.